"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning." Lamentations 3:23

Friday, October 17, 2008

Family Time

Yesterday at MOPS we had Kirk Weaver come and talk to us about Family Time Training. Family Time is a ministry that Kirk started 14 years ago with his own kids and he's been sharing it with others ever since. The basic idea is that you take 20 minutes once a week to train your kids in spiritual things in fun and creative ways. Of course that's not the only time you talk about spiritual things, but it's an intentional time of learning. You use object lessons and fun activities to teach Bible stories and spiritual truths. I've heard Kirk speak 3 times now and every time I have said "Yes! That's something I want to do with my kids!" And every time, I end up putting it off. Sure, we talk about spiritual things in our home and we read kids' Bibles, but that's different than having a focused and intentional time in which we teach specific spiritual truths. So I'm saying it here in my blog so you can hold me accountable...we WILL start Family Time!! I have long believed that it is the responsibility of the parents to train their kids in the things of God. I believe the Bible is clear about that. Sunday school is a good thing, but parents are called by God to impress His truth on the hearts of their children (Deut. 6). If you are interested in learning more about what Family Time is all about, you can visit their website at http://www.famtime.com. They have lots of free activities that you can download. I know my kids are going to love it. I'll report back after our first Family Time and let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

Gloria said...

I'm with you on the putting-it-off thing. I will be praying for you and your family as you start to implement this into your lives!

Marcia said...

I just heard him speak at the Hearts at Home Conference! I had never heard of him or the organization before, but it definitely resonated with me. I like the idea of family devotions or some intentional means of regular spiritual training, but just had no idea where to start (without it being dull and boring for the kids). After hearing what he had to say, I bought one of the books and hope to implement a Family Time at our house, too. Maybe we can help keep each other accountable. :-)