"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning." Lamentations 3:23

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Gearing up for Homeschooling

I've been vascillating this week between feeling terrified and elated, well-equipped and completely clueless. I guess that's normal when embarking on any kind of new adventure. It's impossible to predict what this year is going to bring. But to be honest, part of me was thinking I should head over to our local elementary school on Monday and see if it was too late to enroll. Seeing all my friends kids heading off to school, remembering the excitement of a new school year when I was a kid, and reflecting on how much I love teaching in the classroom all had me confused. But I had a moment of realization this week as the boys took off down the street riding their bikes without training wheels. Seeing the joy in their faces and the sense of accomplishment that makes them glow...that's a big part of why I want to homeschool. I'm looking forward to seeing their aha! moments every day. Taking them to the museum and the zoo and exploring things they are interested in together is so exciting to me.

I still don't have the "how" all figured out yet. And that's still scary to me. But as I was talking to my friend Sandy yesterday, I was reminded that I don't have to have it all figured out in a day. It's a journey and we'll figure it out as we go. I have lots of teaching experience to fall back on and I think it will probably come easier than I think. And when it doesn't, I have great friends and other resources to fall back on. And what's more, God is good. He loves me and He loves my kids. He won't leave us alone. It's going to be a good year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yes. yes. And yes.

Hope you guys have a blast...