"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning." Lamentations 3:23

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Apple Butter


I've had lots of people ask me how I make apple butter. So I took pictures of the process this year and will now share all my secrets! As I told one friend, it's more of an art than a science, but it helps to know where to start. When I first considered making apple butter I consulted this website and found a wealth of information. Many of the steps that I'll include here came straight from that site.

Step 1: Find a friend with an apple tree! My friend Heather was kind enough to let us come to her house and pick 60 pounds of apples this year! I was thrilled! When I first started making apple butter, the cheapest I could find apples was 99 cents a pound. (Don't pay that! ) Then Sunflower Market came to town and they have one or two weeks a year when apples get as cheap as 49 cents a pound. Last year I waited until that week and stocked up. It really doesn't matter what kind of apples you use, although I like using sweeter varieties so that I don't have to add as much sugar.



Step 2: Peel, core and slice your apples. One of these handy tools (below) makes the job much easier. Or you can skip this step--just slice them up and throw them in the pot and use a food mill to process them. I personally found that to be more tedious.

Step 3: Put your apples in a big pot. Add a little water or apple juice to the pot to keep the apples from sticking to the bottom of the pot (about a cup or two). Cook the apples on low with a lid on for about 2 hours (adjust the time to the size of your pot). Stir them every once in a while to make sure they aren't sticking.

Watch for little fingers stealing your apples! :)


Step 4: When the apples have cooked down and are soft, remove them from the heat. Use a food processor to puree the apples until they are the consistency of baby food.




Step 5: Fill your crockpot with the apple puree, leaving about a half an inch of room at the top (so you can tilt the lid later). Save leftover puree for later.

Step 6: Add 1 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon of cloves. (I use much less sugar than most recipes call for because I don't like the flavor of the apples to get lost.) Taste it after it has cooked awhile and adjust the recipe to taste.
Step 7: Tilt the lid, so moisture can escape. Cook on low for about 12 hours, stirring occasionally.
Step 8: Fill the crockpot with pureed applesauce again to about half an inch below the rim. Taste the apple butter at this point and add whatever ingredients you think it needs more of. Cook for another 12 hours, or until it is dark brown and thick (as pictured below).


Step 9: Get your jars and other canning supplies ready.


Step 10: Can your apple butter (see the site I mentioned above for tips) and stock your cupboards or give as gifts!


Have fun!

No comments: