"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning." Lamentations 3:23

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Beauty Mishaps

"Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."
Proverbs 31:30

This weekend was my friend Lisa's wedding. Erik and I flew out to LA for this special occasion. I spent lots of time prior to the trip making sure I had the right dress (in the right shade of brown to match the other attendants), the right shoes (that wouldn't kill me before the night was over), and the right jewelry. I checked and rechecked my make-up bag and practiced doing my hair the way I wanted it for the wedding. I even grew out my nails (which is a big deal for me because I have a horrible biting habit). Erik bought a new blazer and made sure he had pants to match.

So why did I wake up on Monday morning after all the festivities were over and have to recite the Proverbs 31 verse to myself for consolation? Here's a quick review: make-up bag and jewelry forgotten at home; uncomfortable nice shoes (rather than the tennies I should have worn) on Friday's outing with no break in the action to go back to the hotel for different shoes; a disastrous manicure in which my long beautiful nails were clipped short; Erik realizing an hour before he was supposed to be at the wedding site on Sunday that he forgot to pack a dress shirt; the front of my neck burned by my curling iron as I tried to do my own hair, requiring me to apply an ice pack and stinky burn cream to relieve the pain and redness, then my hair not turning out quite like I had hoped (apparently doing hair in LA is different than doing hair in CO); and spending most of the wedding night wearing my goofy sandals instead of my pretty shoes because the pretty shoes hurt (at least it was dark). And those were just the beauty mishaps. There was also a bum rental car, a parking ticket and possibly a "running the red light" ticket making life more interesting.

I take consolation in the Proverbs verse because when it was all said and done, the wedding was glorifying to God and that's all that matters! My solo went well and the words of the pastor were both encouraging and inspirational. I'm thankful for the marriage of Lisa and Ed. It's been a long road for them and for all of us who love them. I'm so thankful for God's redemptive work in their lives. I so enjoyed spending time with Lisa and getting to know her wonderful friends. And the bride was gorgeous! It was her day and I'm glad she was at her best!


3 comments:

TaggTroop said...

Amanda you look gorgeous!!

Sorry it was such a hard time. It'll be a funny story to tell your boys...someday. Sometimes things like that aren't funny til later!

Love you,
Sandy

PS> Jeanne Weeks came over today!!

Amanda said...

Thanks Sandy! How fun that you got to see Jeanne!

Unknown said...

Am~
Thanks for sharing and for the pictures! I love reading and hearing about how others experienced it, cause I don't remember much! HOW TOTALLY AWESOME IT WAS TO HAVE YOU HERE!! I REALLY appreciate ALL the efforts - I'm sorry it was so difficult. I understand the stresses of friends' weddings - I've been to many! :)
Thank you for being there. I love you!
~Lisa