Last night I was awakened at 12:30 a.m. to a crying baby. He had a bit of a fever before bed, so I expected that he might wake up. He was burning up--103.9 degrees. Scary hot. I gave him some medicine and quickly stripped off his jammies. I woke up Erik and together we tried to get his temperature down by putting him on our bare chests (we read somewhere that it helps them regulate) and putting a cold washcloth on his head.
We had watched an episode of 20/20 about the Haiti earthquake before bed. So as I rocked Joel, my thoughts went quickly to images of Haitian moms who might be consoling and rocking their babies at the same moment. The only difference is that they don't have any medicine...or hospitals...or even bathtubs to soak their babies. Many are on the streets under sheets that are serving as shelter. Many of the children are injured. And some of the babies don't even have mommies anymore.
The injustice of it all is hard to understand. And along with that I have an overwhelming feeling of helplessness. We've given financially to the crisis (as you can too if you click on the link in my sidebar), but there isn't much else we can do. So I prayed. I prayed that help would come quickly for them and that God would be their comforter in this dark hour. I'm learning that prayer is more powerful than I once thought it was. So I cried out (and continue to pray) on behalf of those mothers and children, come to them quickly, Lord!
On a side note, we have some friends who are adopting two children from Haiti. We know that the children are safe, but I'm hoping we'll get more of an update from them in the morning. You can pray for them that the adoption will not be stalled and that their children will come home soon!
This will probably be another long night with Joel. His temp was 103 at bed time. So I'd better get to bed!
No comments:
Post a Comment